Monday, January 4, 2010

Sick baby

Well, Jett has his first cold. He's been congested for a while, but this past Saturday night, he started getting really fussy, started breathing really funny, and would hold his breath every once in a while. It scared me, so I called ask-a-nurse, and she could hear him over the phone, and told us to take him to the ER. Well, you know ask-a-nurse...they'll tell you to go to the ER if you get a paper cut. So I called my sister-in-law, since she's a nurse, and I knew she would give me honest advice. She was able to hear him grunting and whining over the phone, and she agreed that we should probably take him in.
We took him to Children's Mercy Hospital, the same hospital Laney was at when she had her kidney infection...if we take our kids to any other hospital in the KC metro area, they will always trasnfer them to CM, anyway. We got there, and they got us back right away. They took a sample of his yucky nasal mucous to test it for RSV, and started suctioning out his nose. I informed the doctor about him holding his breath, and she asked me if any of my other kids do it. I told her about Elijah, and how he does it when he cries, to the point of passing out. She told me that if I have one kid that does it, it's more likely that another will do it too. Gee, thanks... I told her it terrifies me, but she wasn't too concerned. Does she not get that it really terrifies me? How do I convey this to her? What can I do about it? I know...I can do nothing about it....but I'm just not okay with that answer. It's an extremely helpless feeling. Not only with him, but with Elijah, as well. This was his worst episode, ever! Thankfully, he hasn't done it in over a year (although he gets really close, sometimes), so I'm praying that he's outgrown it.
Anyway, the RSV test came back negative, so that's great, but he's still extremely congested, and now he's lost his voice from coughing so much. I feel like crying every time I hear him try to make a noise. It's the most pitiful thing I've ever heard! So please keep him in your prayers, if you think about it! I would appreciate it very much! It's so hard to see your tiny baby so miserable...especially since they don't understand what's going on, and they can't tell you what's wrong. It's the pits.

Here's a video of him...he's smiling at the beginning, and at the end, you can hear how scratchy his little voice is.

You will need to stop the music on the sidebar to hear the video ---->






People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one.
~Leo J. Burke

2 comments:

Sheila said...

poor honey. Give him a kiss for me, I'm glad it was nothing serious. Love you all

MommaHarms said...

Poor sweet little guy! Hope he's feeling better soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails