Monday, April 6, 2009

12 weeks and 1st dr. appt.


How your baby's growing:
The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder. Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. His face looks unquestionably human: His eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and his ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.


I had my first dr. appt. today, we got to hear the heartbeat and everything looks great!! Everything seems much more real after hearing the heartbeat! 12 weeks is a long time to wait to hear it. After searching for it for about 3 or 4 minutes, the nurse (a lady that happens to go to our church, which is awesome!) found it, but only for a few seconds, and Mike didn't get to hear it (he was dealing with a screaming Isaac). I kept thinking she wasn't pushing on my belly hard enough with her little doppler thing while she was looking for it. She knew that Mike wanted to hear it, so she said she would let the dr. try to find it. Dr. Lemberger came in, and found it pretty quickly. She pushed way harder than the nurse did...I know that's why she found it easier. The heartbeat was in the 180's, which is fast, but it's normal for 12 week babies. :) I asked her if she thought it was twins, and she checked my uterus and said that it didn't feel any bigger than it should, so no twins for us!!! She did say that it felt right on track for where I should be, and that my due date will remain October 19th...which just happens to be her birthday too!! :) I still can't believe that there's a tiny baby just hangin' out inside of my body, just waiting to meet us! I mean, hello!!! There is a human being inside of me!! Is that like the weirdest thing ever or what?!?!? Even after going through it 5 times, I still think things like that! =) It's a miracle everytime!!

1 comment:

Layna Savage said...

Yeah for good reports! I had one too. With that fast a heart beat, I think it's a girl...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails