Monday, April 13, 2009

13 weeks and a trip to the ER

Your pregnancy: 13 weeks





How your baby's growing: Fingerprints have formed on your baby's tiny fingertips, her veins and organs are clearly visible through her still-thin skin, and her body is starting to catch up with her head — which makes up just a third of her body size now. If you're having a girl, she now has more than 2 million eggs in her ovaries. Your baby is almost 3 inches long (the size of a medium shrimp) and weighs nearly an ounce.


Ok, so the trip to the ER wasn't for me, but for Elijah. And of course, the paramedics were involved, yet again. I think we're gonna get to know them really well between Elijah and Isaac. Elijah started having a croupy cough Friday afternoon, but he wasn't really acting like he couldn't breathe well, so it didn't really concern me a whole lot. Well, that night around 11:30, Mike and I were watching a movie and I heard Elijah start coughing really hard. I went in to check on him, and he started crying and weezing really hard. My first thoughts were that he was in the early stages of an asthma attack (no, he has never been diagnosed with it, but it can show up any time, right?) and I started freaking out. I was frantically trying to find his pants so I could take him to the ER, and he just kept getting worse. It sounded like it was all he could do to just get some air in his lungs. I finally found his pants and jacket and put him in the van when Mike asked if we should probably just call 911. I agreed, worried that it would get way worse on the way to the hospital. So the paramedics showed up and he had calmed down a bit, which caused him to breathe a little better. They put the blood oxygen monitor on him and it started at around 75% (yikes!), so we watched it for a while, and it eventually went up to 99%! Thank God! The evaluated him for about 15 minutes and told us that we should take him to the ER. I obviously didn't want to pay for the ambulance ride, since he was doing so much better, so I told them that I would take him. It was kinda funny actually, when they were getting ready to leave, they were putting our info into their computer, and the guy said "Oh, it looks like we have Elijah's information already in here." I was like, "Oh, well, yeah...you've seen him before. He's our trouble maker." :) Poor little guy.
We got to the hospital around 12:15am, they got us checked right into a room, and Elijah was really lethargic the whole time the nurses were trying to look at him. I mean, it was after midnight... The dr. came in and said that he had the croup and he was having strider, which I'd never heard before, but apparently it's the sound he was making when he was breathing in. They gave him a breathing treatment and some steroids to help the inflammation in his airways. After being tired and crabby and just laying in the bed, the steroids definitely woke him up. About 20 minutes after they gave it to him, he was bouncing off the walls!!! He would kick his legs and flail his arms around and say "shoo flys, shoo!" I was cracking up. It was like he was on speed. :) He was obviously feeling alot better and the nurse came in to check us out, took one look at Elijah and told me that I had them to thank for the way he was acting...that it was the steroids. Anyway, he is feeling better now, and he does still have a cough, but no more hard breathing! Oy, he's gonna give me a heart attack. I swear.

1 comment:

LaTisha said...

OMG!!! I just can't believe that story. You do tell "good" stories. "Good" being a relative term! It's almost like a default that when you say "ER" I automatically think Elijah! Way to go Super Mom!!! Love you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails